Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Land

So, for those who don't know - we ended up purchasing some land in southern Indiana about a month ago! Yay!

It is surrounded by Hoosier National Forest!

(This is about the edge of our property at the top of the hill, looking across into HNF.)

There is a nice stream that runs through it, and it is in the hills where there is a ton of wildlife. When I first visited it with my dad, we ran into 3 turkeys on the property!

We intend to use it as a weekend getaway property, hunting base camp, outdoors recreation, and investment. We have some farmland which is being leased to a farmer. Also, I may turn it into a classified nature preserve, and plant some high-value timber in some open acreage as an investment.



But the biggest, most exciting thing we're thinking about doing with the property is building a cabin / second home on it! And, being the crazy, project-liking guy that I am, I'm thinking about doing some of the work!

So, I'm going to start cataloging the progress we make to that end. This is a project for a project's sake, so we are not in a big rush to get it all done. I am going to do the work in chunks and not get rushed. I expect it to take several years to get it done.

Here is a shot of the field. On the other side of this field in that treeline is where we've decided to build the cabin.




There is an old pig barn or two by the entrance that will need to be torn down. This isn't hurting anything, but it is just unsightly. There are two working wells in this area that we'll use to supply water to the cabin.





With all the trees, I can't wait to see the view in the fall!

No comments:

Post a Comment