Monday, February 16, 2009

First Straight Razor Shave and Karate

Well, I had my first straight razor shave last night.

It wasn't too bad. No blood. No nicks or cuts.

I stropped it for a bit and then went to work.

I don't think my blade holds an edge very well, but it was still semi-successful.

I did the hanging hair test - you pluck a hair, then just pull it across your blade. If it cuts the hair, the blade is sharp enough. If not, keep stropping, or off to the hone with it.

Anyways, the hard part about shaving with a straight razor is that your arms get in the way of your line of sight, so you have to contort your body to see what you're doing. You don't want to hack off an ear or anything. It actually resulted in a lot less irritation than the normal DE (double edge) safety razor shave, but it took a lot longer and was more difficult. With practice it will get better and faster. The shaving cream was drying out before I could get to it I was so slow!

Other than that, we took Keegan to karate tonight. He did really well! We're going to sign him up!

No comments:

Post a Comment